You are here: Home / About Our Library / History / Quimby Public Library History

Quimby Public Library History

Quimby Public Library - Then and Now

1917:   Quimby's first known library was established by the Quimby Women's Club.  It was located on Main Street, and club members volunteered their time to act as librarians.
1922:  The library was moved to a remodeled building with a high school girl serving as librarian.  Some time after this, the library was moved into the new schoolhouse.  It was still known as a public library until the school grew larger and absorbed it as a school library.

1944:  A girls' 4-H library was organized.  It had to be discontinued about 1948 due to lack of money and a suitable building.

1951:  The local Women's Club revived the library.  At this time, it was located in a building on Main Street.

1960:  The library was moved to a building that had been the office of the local doctor.

1992:  The official fund-raising campaign for a new library kicks off on January 1.  Local community groups, including the Town and Country Club, Quimby Library Board, and the Quimby Lions, are involved in raising funds for the $68,000 project.  A vacant lot on Main Street is donated by Ross and Arlene Pinkerton. 

1993:  The construction of the new library begins, with the completion date of spring of 1994.

1994:  Open House at the new Quimby Public Library is slated for July 24.

Interested in more history?  Check out the Iowa Historical Society.